HIPPY parents/carers work with their children, spending around 10-to-15 minutes a day, five days a week. A home tutor makes fortnightly home visits and regular group meetings allow families to support each other and take part in fun activities. HIPPY is supported by research that shows children’s most powerful learning comes from their family and that getting a strong start at school sets children up for life.
Playgroup Queensland currently coordinates two HIPPY sites located in Cairns North and Riverview (Ipswich area).
HIPPY is dedicated to:
- encouraging parents and children to love learning
- giving parents skills and confidence to be their children’s first teachers
- giving children a strong start at school
- providing children with fun and interesting activities to help them learn
- supporting parents to meet and learn from other parents
- encouraging parents to become involved at school and in the community
- providing parents with the opportunity to become home tutors
- supporting home tutors to develop the skills and work experience needed to get a job
“The Home Interaction Program for Parents and Youngsters is funded by the Australian Government through the Department of Social Services.”
“The Brotherhood of St Laurence holds the licence to operate HIPPY in Australia.”
How can I find out more?
To find out more about HIPPY please contact Playgroup Queensland on 1800 171 882 or email us.
Further information regarding the HIPPY program can be found at www.hippyaustralia.org.au